Monday, December 28, 2009

HALLOWED BE THY NAME

As we continue thinking about 'The Lord's Prayer, after addressing our Father, we should then praise Him. In the Psalms we have excellent examples of how to begin a prayer with praise and worship. In Psalm 8 it begins with "O Lord, our Lord, how excellent (majestic and glorious) is your name in all the earth!" Psalm 19 states "The heavens declare the Glory of God"; and in Psalm 27: "The Lord is my Light and my salvation." Psalm 33 begins with "Rejoice in the Lord", and Psalm 103 begins with "Bless the Lord, O my soul". And on it goes throughout the Psalms.

In our Lord's Prayer we cry out to His Holiness: "Hallowed be thy Name!" The word 'hallowed' means 'Holy' and 'Holy' means pure loving nature of God with the absence of evil. Holy is the way God is. He is holy with an infinite, beyond our imagination, fullness of purity. We in our finite beings know nothing like His divine holiness.

Yet it is to His holy name we are taught to pray. He is our Father, and His Name is complete Holiness. In Exodus 15:11 Moses and the Israelites say, "who is like You, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like You, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?" In Revelation 4:8 the Seraphim sang, "Holy holy, holy, Lord God Almighty."

My Prayer to my Holy Father:
There is none like You, O my Lord! When I think of Your holiness and I see myself in the light of Your holiness, I cry "O woe is me!", as did Isaiah; and as Job: "I abhor myself." You are Holy and full of Glory! Yet you are mindful of me! Through the blood of Jesus I can come boldly into Your throne room, entering into the Holy of Holies to praise You and worship You and to seek Your face. You are majesty! I could search through all eternity and find no one like you! You are holy, holy, holy! There is none like You! 'Hallowed be thy Name' Amen

No comments: