Monday, September 13, 2010

Those Who Hunger and Thirst

Jesus said "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be satisfied. Only Jesus can satisfy. Psalm 42:1 states "As the deer pants for the water brook, so my soul pants for you." Jesus told the woman at the well in John 4 that whoever drank the water that He would give would never thirst. A person who is thirsty craves water; a soul thirsty for God craves or yearns for Him.

Jesus also likens Himself to giving us food for our souls. In John 6:35 He says "I am the Bread of life, He who comes to me will never be hungry…" Psalm 107:9 states "He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness." The hunger of our souls and the thirst for more can only be satisfied in Jesus.

The principle we find here is that of ‘yearning’. We are yearning for righteousness, and since Christ is our righteousness (Jeremiah 23:6) we are desiring and yearning for Christ Himself.

I would like to quote a part of a prayer by A.W. Tozer; it fits the longing and yearning of my own soul: "O God, the Triune God, I want to want thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be more thirsty still. Show me thy glory I pray thee, that so I may know thee indeed." Just give me Jesus, and I will be satisfied. Amen

No comments: