Monday, September 6, 2010

The Meek

In Matthew 5:5 we read "Blessed are the Meek for they shall inherit the earth." A true meekness is humility coupled with strength. The principle that is behind the blessing of meekness would be submission. We have learned that the poor in spirit are submissive to God. To be ‘meek’ is to be first submissive to God, but then we are to be submissive to our leaders, our spouse and to others in the family of God. In other words, we are to be submissive to each other.

In the New Testament, we have only one person who is called "meek" and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Of Himself He says He is "meek and lowly in heart" (Matthew 11:29). In the Old Testament, Moses was the only person with this distinction. In Numbers 12:3 it states "Now the man Moses was very meek (gentle, kind and humble) above all men on the face of the earth" (Amplified Version). Neither one of these men were weak; not in their character and not in their physical being; yet they were meek in their submission to God.

The opposite of meekness would be arrogance. Jesus was never arrogant. And Moses was said to be more humble than any man.

When we admit we need God and others, we will be showing meekness. This is not weakness but submitting to God’s strength. Paul said "When I am weak, then am I strong" (II Cor. 12:10). The Amplified says it this way: "…for when I am weak (in human strength), then am I (truly) strong (able, powerful in divine strength)." And why? Because he was submitting to God’s strength.

My Prayer: O Lord, my desire is to know You better, to go deeper into Your Word and deeper into submission to You. You have said that my strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I say with Paul "I will glory in my infirmities that the power of Christ will rest on me". Meekness is truly having the Mind of Christ. Amen

No comments: