Monday, August 2, 2010

The Word of God

Besides being my Prayer Partner (as last week’s blog pointed out), the Holy Spirit is also the ‘Spirit of the Word’. It is the Holy Spirit who will cause the Word to become a joy to our hearts and help us to understand it. In order to have a healthy spiritual life one must take in the Word of God as well as prayer, each and every day.

Jesus loved the Word and treasured it in His heart. He used it for victory over Satan when in the wilderness. He had a habit of going to the synagogue every Sabbath and reading from the Scripture, see Luke 4:16. When He was but a youth He sat among the teachers, both hearing them and asking questions of them. Luke 2:47 states that all that heard him were amazed at his understanding and answers. He even quoted from the Word while on the Cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (See Psalm 22:1)

In Isaiah 55:10-11 we read: "For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, and returns not there, but waters the earth, and makes it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater. So shall my word be that goes forth out of my mouth; it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." We must feed upon God’s Word to give us strength and life, each and every day.

My Prayer: Your Word, Lord, gives light to my path, so I need to use it every day. When I am in doubt, I go to Your Word; when I need comfort, I go to Your Word. When I want to hear You speak to me, I go to Your Word. But still my heart longs, yea yearns, to actually sit at Your feet and hear the timbre of Your voice, the ‘love-words’ you will speak to me. It will be like the oil on the head, to run down over my garments, speaking peace and love to my soul. Your "mouth is full of sweetness" (Song of Solomon 5:16) Your Word is like a refreshing spring rain. Amen

1 comment:

WingAbouts said...

I love what you've written here Carol. Isaiah 55 is one of my favorite passages. And I claim it too -- knowing that when I read the Bible, no matter how familiar I am with a passage, there is always something new to be learned and I generally refuse to put my Bible away until I have that new insight from the Holy Spirit. Thanks again for your blogging! -- Barbara