Monday, May 10, 2010

Spiritual Armor (Part II)

Last week we talked about the Belt of Truth, the Breastplate of Righteousness, and your feet fitted with the Gospel of Peace.

The rest of the armor is found in Ephesians 6:16 and 17: "In addition to all this, take up the Shield of Faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the Helmet of Salvation and the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God."

In the Amplified version it says: "lift up over all the (covering) shield of saving faith, upon which you can quench all the flaming missiles of the wicked one." What a word picture this gives us. The wicked one, or Satan, is always trying to catch us. He not only throws darts, but they are life threatening fiery missiles. We must cloth ourselves with the life saving faith, which is our shield.

The next item is a Helmet. Helmets are worn for many reasons, in fact in many cases it is the law, such as construction sites, riding bikes, skateboards, even roller skates. Soldiers in the war zones wear helmets; the reason is of course to protect the head. Salvation is our Helmet, protecting us from a lost eternity and assuring us of our Hope for the future.

The last mentioned, by no means being the least, is the Sword of the Spirit. This is self-explanatory as it says it is The Word of God. The best place for the Word is to be hidden in one’s heart. In Psalm 119:11 it says, "the Word of God hidden in my heart that I might not sin against God." It is God’s Word that will cause Satan to turn and run. In the front of my Bible given to me when I was a little girl, is written "Sin will keep you from this book, but this book will keep you from sin."

The Sword of the Spirit is our weapon of defense, and our weapon of choice. "I will not forget your Word" (Psalm 119:16)

Prayer: Thank You for providing me with Armor, Lord, that I may stand against the wiles and schemes of the devil. You give me all I need; I must just use it. Amen

No comments: