Monday, May 17, 2010

My Shield

In the New World Dictionary of American English, the word ‘shield’ is: "a flat, usually broad, piece of metal, wood, etc., carried in the hand or worn on the forearm to ward off blows or missiles." It is also: "any person or thing that guards, protects, or defends."

God told Abraham, the one who was to become the father of the race of Israel, that he should not fear because "I am thy shield" (Genesis 15:1). David called God his shield in many of the Psalms. Here are just a few examples:
Psalm 3:3: "But You, O Lord are a ‘shield’ to me...".
Psalm 28:7 he says the Lord is his "strength and shield".
And in Psalm 33:20: "He is our help and our shield."
Paul says to "take up the Shield of Faith…"

The Lord, as our Shield, is both our shield to ward off the fiery missiles of Satan, and also He stands guard, He protects, and defends. He comes between each of His children and all of life, no matter what is happening. It may be the scorn given you by someone, or a group; it may be something very tragic happening in one’s life; it may be an illness or death of a loved one. It may even be a wrong choice, or a sin, yet He is still there to guard and protect. We may feel our faith is too weak, but He, as our Shield, is the Faithful one, and He never leaves us. Whatever it is, He is our Shield.


Prayer: O Lord, you are my strong shield for everything. You will help me through your Holy Spirit, to be an ‘overcomer’ as I learn with confidence that nothing can harm me when I have Your protective Shield of Faith around me. You are my Shield now, and will be until I am with You in Glory. Amen

No comments: