Monday, March 29, 2010

He Satisfies

In our world today people are always trying to be satisfied. They feel if they could make more money, they would be satisfied. Or maybe a larger home would make them happier, more satisfied. Another person may even think a different spouse would make a difference. Man (humans) never seem to be satisfied.

The Bible states in Psalm 107:9 that "He (God) satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness." Jeremiah 31:14 states "My people shall be satisfied with My goodness' says the Lord."

"As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for you..." (Psalm 41:1). The Lord is as important to our lives as water is for any living things. When we are thirsty we crave water; when our soul is 'dry' we need our Lord. Psalm 36:8 states "They are abundantly satisfied with the fullness of Your house, and You give them to drink from the river of Your pleasures."

I am reminded of the story we call "The woman at the Well." Jesus told this Samaritan woman that He could give her living water. In John 4:14 He states "Whoever takes a drink of the water I will give him shall never, no never, be thirsty anymore." That to me sounds very satisfying. In chapter 6 of John, verse 35 Jesus says, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never be hungry..." That just seems as satisfied as one could be!

My prayer: O Lord, I long to be this satisfied. I long to feast upon You in Your Word. Help me to be filled by You and be abundantly satisfied. You alone, dear Lord, are food and water to my soul. You alone are the one whom my soul loves and longs for. "I have tasted that the Lord is gracious" (I Peter 2:3). Amen

No comments: