Monday, March 1, 2010

Can we Lose our Salvation?

There are some dear christian folk that feel that if we sin, to where we walk away from the Lord, we will lose our Salvation. I have been giving some thought to this, as the reasoning given seems fallible, but I have a hard time accepting it.
First, here are some verses that to me shows this is a permanent event. Salvation is not an on-again, off-again situation.

John 10:28 from the Amplified Version reads "And I give them eternal life, and they shall never lose it or perish throughout the ages (to all eternity they shall never by any means be destroyed). And no one is able to snatch (them) out of the Father's hands."
II Corinthians 5:17 (Amplified) "Therefore if any person is (engrafted) in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old has passed away."
Romans 8:38, 39 (Amplified) "For I am persuaded beyond doubt (am sure) that neither death or life; nor angels, nor principalities; nor things impending or threatening or things to come, nor powers, nor heights, nor depth, nor anything else in all Creation will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

There are more, such as the well know John 3:16, where it tells us that "whoever believes in Him shall not perish by have eternal life." It doesn't say eternal life as long as you stay close to me, or give any other conditions. It is 'if you believe you have eternal life'!

A well known writer of today, Beth Moore, has this to say of when she 'fell away'. "I was a young child when I received Christ, and yet I have sinned and failed miserably in my life...every horrible sin I have ever committed has been with the Holy Spirit intact; I was as saved as could be."

A couple of analogies: one being that a child is born into a family. For some reason when the child grows up he leaves home and decides to have no more to do with his past or upbringing. The child and parents never see each other, seldom even know what the other is doing, yet he is still their child. There is no fellowship, no communication, but still there is the fact he is their child. A Biblical example of this is found in Luke 15 with the parable of "The Prodigal Son".

Another analogy is found in Matthew 18:12 and Luke 15, where the shepherd has 100 sheep. One decides to go its own way, wanders off, is lost; but the shepherd does not say, "that is not my sheep anymore". Instead he goes out and finds His sheep. That is His sheep, and He cares and brings it back.

I do not know if everyone we see who has made a profession and then seemingly forgets about God is in this category. Some people will acquiesce to what they are told, but never really accept Jesus as their master and Lord. Even the demons knew who Jesus was, but they did not have Salvation. We must leave this to our Lord who knows the heart.

As for myself, I was like Beth Moore said she was, and I dragged the Holy Spirit along with me. O how it must have grieved Him! This is part of what broke my heart and brought me back to the Savior. That and the fact that it was Jesus precious hands and feet that were pierced for me. It should have been my hands, it should have been my feet, but He took the fall, and gave His all for me.

Thank You Father, that even when I was away from You, You never left me. You have promised to never leave me, and I am held in the palm of Your hand. Amen

No comments: