Friday, March 11, 2016

"S" is for Shepherd

 To think of Jesus as our Shepherd is one of the most tender images given to us.  Our Lord compares Himself to a Shepherd all throughout the Scriptures.  This reminds us of our dependency on Him, as well as His watchful, protecting care.

Shepherding was a very important occupation in ancient Palestine, so the people of that day understood the metaphors of sheep and shepherd.  A shepherd is responsible for the physical survival and well being of the flock, and sheep are known to be an animal totally dependent on the shepherd.  The shepherd is the one to find them pastures, and it is said they need to have still waters, so the shepherd also finds them quiet streams or watering holes.  David, having been a shepherd knew this when he wrote Psalm 23:3: “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me beside the still waters.”

Without a shepherd to carefully watch over the flock, the sheep scatter and become easy prey for wild animals and thieves.  A good shepherd will defend his flock with his own life.  In John 10:11 Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

The shepherd’s life was a nomad’s life, and he spent many lonely hours entertaining himself by talking to his sheep.  In this way the sheep came to know the shepherd’s voice. Therefore when the sheep mixed with other flocks, such as at the watering holes, they had no difficulty separating the animals, for each animal knew its shepherd’s voice.   In John 10:4 Jesus said “My sheep hear my voice and follow me.”

The shepherd counted his sheep each morning and evening and would call each one by name.  In John 10:3 it states:  “…and the sheep hear his voice; and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.”
“He tends his flock like a shepherd
He gathers the lambs in his arms
And carries them close to his heart;
He gently leads those that have young.”
                                                                             ……Isaiah 40:11

My prayer: Gentle Shepherd, with you as my Shepherd, I shall not want for any good thing.  You lead me in pastures green, and you restore my soul.  Help me to listen for your voice, and follow you all the days of my life.  And when I reach the end of my way on earth, you will go with me through the valley of the shadow of death, and receive me to yourself in Glory.  You are my Shepherd-King, and I praise you!  Amen

No comments: