Monday, February 7, 2011

Who is Jesus?

As we said last week, we get to know God through Jesus, and what He did for us. Jesus is unique, revealed in His conception and miraculous birth from a virgin. He was sinless, and His powerful teachings have been carried down through the ages.

In Isaiah, 700 years before Christ was born, Isaiah wrote in 7:14 "Therefore, the Lord Himself will give you a sign. Behold a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name, Emmanuel." Unique? Yes! Never in the history of the earth had this happened before or since Jesus birth, let alone to be predicted centuries before it came about.

He was sinless. II Cor 5:21 states Christ, who knew no sin, became sin for us; and in I John 3:5 we read "and in Him is no sin." I like to read the description of a scene in heaven, which John describes for us in Revelation 5. There was a scroll, which could only be opened by one worthy, one who was sinless and victorious. No one in heaven or earth was worthy until in verse 5 it says, "see, the Lion of the tribe of Judah (Jesus) the Root of David, has won. He can open the scroll…" He alone was the perfect Lamb and the Son of God, Jesus. He was the ‘lamb without blemish’ from I Peter 1:19.

Jesus gave many sermons while He lived among men. The most well known is probably the Sermon on the Mount from Matthew 5. He gave over 60 recorded parables listed in the four Gospels. Because of what John said in John 21:25, we know there was so much more: "And there are also many other things which Jesus did. If they should be all recorded one by one (in detail) I suppose that even the world itself could not contain (have room for) the books that would be written."

What about Jesus as God and how He fits into eternity past? In Colossians 1:17 it says, "Christ existed before all things…" He said of Himself in John 8:58 "Before Abraham was born, ‘I Am’…" "I AM" is a name for God, so He is saying He is God. In John 5:18 He claims equality with God.

When Christ was on earth He did not hesitate to use the plural form when speaking of Himself, the Father, and the Spirit. John 10:30 states "We will come unto Him, and make our abode with him." And again "I and my Father are one." Jesus has always existed, and He will live forever! He is eternal.
Over 1600 years ago church fathers wrote the "Nicene Creed" which condenses the teaching of the New Testament as to the Son as one with the Father:

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ
The only-begotten Son of God,
Begotten of Him before all ages,
God of God, Light of Light,
Very God of Very God,
Begotten, not made,
Being of one substance with the Father,
By whom all things are made.

There is so much here we do not understand, as to think about God we must use our human-thoughts, and words, in trying to explain our Creator. So I leave you with this very brief description of Who Is Jesus. But this one thing I do know: I know He is my Savior, my Redeemer, I adore Him, I love Him, and that’s enough for me! So be it!

No comments: