Monday, January 10, 2011

Self-Control

Our very last ‘fruit of the Spirit’ is called "Self-Control", or may be referred to as ‘temperance’. When we have our whole life under the control of the Holy Spirit, then we will display ‘self-control’. This is the mastery we must continually strive for.

As I read the papers, watch the news on TV and look around at our present generation, it would seem we have no concept of self-control. Here are examples of what I mean: rise in credit card bankruptcies, rise in divorces, mini-riots, road rage, sexual promiscuity, as well as all sorts of addictions. We have lost the concept of ‘temperance’, which is listed in the Fruit of the Spirit found in Galatians 5:22,23. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, self-control."

The Bible tells us of several areas where ‘self-control’ needs to be applied:
1. Self-control of what I do and how I behave. Paul was fearful of being disqualified due to out of control fleshly desires. In I Corinthians 9:27 he spoke of controlling his body as an athlete must do: "but I keep under my body and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself will be cast away".
2. Self-control is needed over what we say. Did you know that over 150 times the Bible speaks about the tongue? It likens it to a fire, and in Ephesians 4:25, 29 it tells us to not let any corrupt communication come from the mouth.
3. We should have self-control over our feelings. This is against today’s culture where we are told that if we want something, or it feels good, it can’t be wrong. In Proverbs 25:28 wise Solomon said that he that had no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.
4. We need self-control over our thoughts. The mind is where it all begins. If a person’s thoughts can be controlled, the person can be controlled. This is the premise behind ‘brain-washing’. In II Corinthians 10:5 it says we must "cast down imaginations and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."

Temperance is not simply self-control at all, it is Spirit-control; and here are some simple steps to help us tap in to this power of the Holy Spirit. First we need to identify the problem areas. Find the weak spot. Second, we need to confess any sin to God. Thirdly, we need to make ourselves accountable. Find a prayer partner to help with accountability. Ecc. 4:12 states "two are better than one." And last, we must ‘die’ to our desires. Crucify self every day. Paul said, "I am crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20) and it must be every day. II Corinthians 4:16 says the inner man is renewed every day.

In closing, here is what Max Lucado says about letting the spiritual reign supreme:
"I am a spiritual being. After this body is dead, my spirit will soar. I refuse to let what will rot, rule the eternal. I refuse to let what will rot rule even today! I choose self-control. I will be drunk only by joy. I will be fattened only by love. I will be impassioned only by faith. I will be influenced only by God. I will be taught only by Christ. I choose self-control!!"

No comments: