Monday, October 11, 2010

The Persecuted

For the past few weeks we have been looking at a Beatitude a week, from Matthew 5. The last of these eight Beatitudes on persecution is given a double blessing. "Blessed are the persecuted for the sake of righteousness for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven". Then Jesus enlarged upon this by saying "Blessed are you when men cast insults at you, and persecute you and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, on account of Me."

Some people think that if we are children of God, we should not have problems. If we do have problems then we aren’t praying right. But Jesus said, "the slave is not above his master." Did Jesus have problems? He had no place to really call home; He was badgered and made fun of everywhere He went. He also said, "If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you…" John 15:20. So we will be treated as they treated Jesus, and in the end He was hung on a Cross. When we are able to say, "Not I-but Christ", and "not my will but thine be done." Then we will no doubt be persecuted in some way.

Paul states in II Corinthians 12:20 that he took pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake. He felt Christ was worth the cost. Down through the centuries, up until and including our modern day, we have martyrs and those who have suffered for their faith because they knew Christ was worth it. They also knew there would be a day of reward when this life is over. Again, from Paul in II Timothy 4:7, he says: "in the future there is laid up for me the Crown of Righteousness…which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who loved His appearing."

Christ was persecuted, and we are blessed when we are willing to also be persecuted. To give a principle for this Beatitude, it would seem to be that of being identified with Christ. We share in His sufferings. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless, I live; yet not I but Christ lives in me…" (Galatians 2:20)

My Prayer:
O Lord, to suffer is something no one likes to think about, yet you have made it clear that if we "suffer with you we shall also reign with you." We know that a faithful witness is going to suffer. You suffered so for me, how can I do less than give of myself to you as a living sacrifice. Paul says he counts "all things but rubbish that he might gain Christ." I would do the same. You, Lord, are worth the cost.
In Jesus Precious Name, Amen

No comments: