Monday, February 15, 2010

AMEN

The word, Amen, itself, expresses affirmation, equivalent to "so be it". It is also used at the end of a prayer, giving affirmation, and you will find it at the end of many Psalms. David often closed his Psalm with "Amen".

In the New Testament, we find in I Corinthians 14:16 that it is evident that the early church was expected to respond with the spoken "Amen". This is a tradition carried even into our modern day churches.

In Revelation the statement is made "these things saith The Amen." This is using the Hebrew word meaning fixed, truth, or unchangeable. In this verse, used with the article "the" it is another descriptive title of our Lord Jesus, the Son of God.

My Prayer:
You, O Lord, are the Great Amen. Revelation 3:14 calls You "the Amen, the faithful and true Witness..." You are the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End. When I say "Amen" I am adding my agreement to what has been said, my way of saying, "may it be so". This is my prayer, may it be done. When David ends the Psalm 72 with a double Amen, he is adding an exclamation! You, the Blessed Lord God, are the "Amen", and to this I add, "Amen, so be it, Your name is glorious forever!"

No comments: