Monday, October 5, 2009

Psalm 37

Last week I endeavored to encourage all to get into the Bible and to study God's Word. When Jesus was tempted by Satan in the Wilderness He quoted each time from God's Word: "It is written....It is written...It is written." Knowing God's Word is the quickest way to resist Satan and cause him to 'run'.

Psalm 37 is a wonderful example for getting to know God's Word. In Psalm 37:1 we are told:"Fret Not Thyself..." But by going deeper into the Psalm, we find that when God gives us a command, He will also show how it is to be done.
In verse 3, 4, and 5 we are told to:
1. Trust in God
2. Delight myself in Him
3. Commit my way to Him
4. Then to Rest in Him.

As we study the rest of the Psalm, God reminds us that He will Sustain us (vs. 17) and that He knows each day we have. Verse 23 shows us that our steps are established by Him, and verse 24 tells us that He holds us by the hand. Verse 25 is a reminder that though I have been young and now am old, He has never let me down. Verse 28 states that He 'does not forsake His righteous ones'.

In verses 39 and 40 He tells each one of us that He is our salvation, our strength, and we can take refuge in Him. It is easy to not fret when our God shows us how it can be done.

Oh Lord, I will keep Your law in my heart (vs. 31). Amen

1. Psalm 37
2. From the heart of CC

No comments: